It’s been a very busy day around the NFL as teams prepare for the start of the new league year and the start of the free agent signing period. Beginning at 4pm tomorrow it’s on and I can’t wait!
Here’s a look and my thoughts on today’s action:
- Percy Harvin going from the Minnesota Vikings to the Seattle Seahawks for draft picks. The Vikings will receive the Seahawks’ first-round (No. 25 overall) and seventh-round selections in 2013, along with a mid-round pick in 2014.
This gives the Seahawks a big time offensive threat and another play maker for QB Russell Wilson to work with. Plus he’s a very dangerous kick returner and will only be 25 years old when the 2013 regular season starts.
Some people will say the Seahawks gave up to much for him, but I’m not one of them. I like the move because the Seahawks are serious contenders in the NFC with a lot of good young talent on both sides of the ball and Harvin’s a proven play maker in the NFL that’s just entering his prime. You won’t find a player like him with the 25th pick in the upcoming 2013 NFL Draft. The Seahawks are ready to win now and I give them credit for pulling the trigger on this deal.
- Anquan Boldin going from the Baltimore Ravens to the San Fransisco 49ers for a 2013 sixth-round draft pick. Boldin refused a pay cut and forced GM Ozzie Newsome into this decision.
This is a complete steal for the 49ers and gives them another dangerous WR to pair up with the emerging Michael Crabtree. This is a huge move and the 49ers gave up almost nothing to get him.
Boldin is 32 years old, but he’s got a few more productive seasons left and is going to be a perfect fit in the 49ers offense.
- DeAngelo Hall was released by the Washington Redskins and it looks like a permanent parting of the ways. Hall surrendered 374 yards after the catch, third-highest among all NFL CB’s, according to Pro Football Focus. He also allowed a catch rate of 67.0 percent in 2012 and was targeted 112 times which tied him second-highest in the league.
I admit to being very happy when the Redskins brought him to D.C., but I’m happier now that he’s leaving. He’s not the player that he thinks he is and I’m glad to see that he will become another city’s headache in 2013.
The Redskins also announced new deals for Rob Jackson, Logan Paulsen, Kory Lichtensteiger, Darrel Young, and Nick Sundberg.
They are rumored to be targeting CB Aqib Talib in free agency.
- Beanie Wells was released by the Arizona Cardinals who are rumored to be going after Reggie Bush and possibly Rashard Mendenhall.
Wells will get picked up by another team, but he must find a way to stay healthy and productive. I think he can help a team in the right situation and he’s only 24 years old.
- D.J. Williams was released by the Denver Broncos and Elvis Dumervil may follow according to Mike Klis of the Denver Post.
- Dan Connor was released by the Dallas Cowboys and the team renegotiated the contracts of Jay Ratliff, Mackenzy Bernadeau, and Orlando Scandrick.
- David Garrard is now officially in the New York Jets QB mix or mess depending on how you look at it after signing with the team.