What a great weekend of baseball! The New York Yankees appear to be in serious trouble of losing control of the A.L. East Division after the Baltimore Orioles took two-of-three in the Bronx and cut the lead to two games.
The Philadelphia Phillies continued their climb back into the N.L. Wildcard picture after taking two-of-three against the Atlanta Braves. The Detroit Tigers swept the Chicago White Sox and pulled into a first place tie with the Sox in the A.L. Central Division.
The Oakland A’s have taken over the top A.L. Wildcard spot and now sit only three games behind the Texas Rangers in the A.L. West Division. Could they actually catch the Rangers?
The playoffs have already begun with so many teams still in contention for a postseason berth and less than 30 games remaining in the regular season! Let’s take a look at this week’s MLB Power Rankings:
- Washington Nationals (81-52) – Reached the 80 win plateau before September! Sitting Stephen Strasburg after two more starts.
- Cincinnati Reds (82-53) – Will be getting Joey Votto back this week.
- Texas Rangers (79-54) – Can they hold off the hard charging A’s in the A.L. West?
- Baltimore Orioles (74-59) – Has clawed their way back into the A.L. East race and enter the week only two games behind the Yankees!
- Oakland A’s (76-57) – They keep winning and winning!
- New York Yankees (76-57) – Look to be in serious danger of not only losing the A.L. East lead, but failing to qualify for the postseason. Must get back on track, NOW!
- San Fransisco Giants (76-58) – Has taken a 4.5 game lead in the N.L. West and Tim Lincecum has finally gotten back on track.
- Tampa Bay Rays (73-61) – Starting a big series against the Yankees to start this week.
- Atlanta Braves (75-59) – Needed a big ninth inning rally to avoid a sweep against the Phillies, but has went 4-10 over their last 14 games. A repeat of last season’s late meltdown happening?
- Los Angeles Dodgers (72-63) – ….(Read More)