The biggest news in MLB over the past week was the 50 game suspension of San Fransisco Giants outfielder Melky Cabrera for the use of performance enhancing drugs. How’s that going to affect the N.L. West race?
If the playoffs started today the Detroit Tigers, Los Angeles Angels, Philadelphia Phillies and the defending World Series Champion St. Louis Cardinals would all fail to qualify.
On the other hand the Baltimore Orioles, Pittsburgh Pirates, Washington Nationals, Cincinnati Reds, and Chicago White Sox would all be in the postseason dance. Now the question is can they all hang on?
Time to get into this week’s MLB Power Rankings!
- Washington Nationals (75-46) - Has Ian Desmond back in the lineup and the Braves coming to town for a HUGE N.L. East showdown.
- Cincinnati Reds (74-48) - Continuing their great roll without Joey Votto says a lot about the talent on this ball club.
- New York Yankees (72-49) - Still the Beast of the A.L. East!
- Texas Rangers (70-50) – Had a tough trip to the Bronx last week, but have kept their lead in the A.L. West at five games.
- Los Angeles Dodgers (67-55) – Great 5-2 road trip to the East Coast last week against the Pirates and Braves. They are starting to find their groove again.
- Atlanta Braves (70-51) – Big series in the Nation’s Capital to start the week and then a four game set in S.F. to finish out a tough 10 game stretch.
- Tampa Bay Rays (67-55) – Impressive four game sweep against the Angels to finish out the week. Sitting five games behind the Bombers and on a roll.
- Baltimore Orioles (66-55) – Wow! I’ve stopped looking at the numbers and trying to figure this team out because what they’re doing isn’t supposed to be possible. Just sit back and enjoy the ride!
- Pittsburgh Pirates (67-54) – Finished a tough week strong with a couple of road wins over the Cardinals.
- Oakland A’s (65-55) – Still ….(Read More)